
So before you get a synopsis of the fabulous trip to Kansas City, you have to hear about the family gathering and the "sport" injury that I received that night. I was soooo excited, Tracy and Kris and their families were coming to Aunt Peggy's for a visit, Tera and her family was going to be there and so was Grandma and Aunt Pam. It was quite the gathering for the Goodwin side. We were invited out for a BBQ and it was going to be a blast!! We got there as soon as we could after work on Wednesday (the Wednesday before I was to fly out on Saturday on my vacation to Kansas City). We had dinner and visited a bit, when Tera suggested that we play some volley ball, that sounded like fun. So she started rounding up people to play and to get the net set up. Well Kris said that setting up the net would take too long and instead we should play wiffle-ball. Wow, what fun!!! We used to play wiffle-ball all the time at Grandma's when the Goodwins all got together!! How reminiscent!! (for you non-wiffle-ballers, it is a game similar to baseball but you use a plastic bat and ball) So it started off just like old times with Tera and Kris arguing about who should be on which team. The teams were divided. I told my team that they unfortunately were at a disadvantage because they got stuck with me. Some of you might ask, "how can that be?" well let me explain, I used to be fairly athletic, maybe even categorized as an athlete. However, as I have added years to my age, I have also added pounds to my butt. And that "Honkey-Tonk Buddonkidonk", as I like to call it, has slowed me down. Anyways, as the game progressed it was obvious that my "Honkey-Tonk Buddonkidonk" was making it nearly impossible to get to first base without getting out. In the game, we were observing our traditional wiffle-ball rules and the outfield team was allowed to throw the ball at the runner and if it hit the runner, they were out. I did through some quite amazing dodging and rolling abilities made it to first a couple times, but never all the way home, I never scored even one run for my team. Anyways, my team was getting the trash kicked out of them. We decided to play one more inning, the opposite team got up and batted and we eventually got them out. Now it was our turn for last-at-bats. We started off with Dad (my Dad) and he hit the ball and got to base, then Tera and she hit the ball but got out, then Taylor (Kris's daughter) and she got out, then it was Tracy's turn and he smashed the ball and got to third base, and then....it was my turn. We already had two out, and I was NOT GOING TO BE THE OUT THAT ENDED THE GAME!!!!! Stupid competitive nature!! Seriously!! When you have not played a competitive sport in over 11 years, you probably should not still have that drive!!! Anyways, apparently once you are that way it is hard to not to be competitive, even if physically you should not be!! I took the bat, got ready for the pitch, Kris was pitching, he smirked, he knew I was an easy out, he figured this is it, game over. How right he was....he pitched the ball, it got closer to me, I decided to bunt, a strategy that had worked for me earlier in the game, I barely touched the ball, it dropped right in front of home plate, I dropped the bat and ran for all I was worth!! I just thought run as fast as you can, UN-HOOK that plow behind you that is making you soooooooo darn sssssllllllooooooowwww!!!!! (That plow of course, is my "Honkey-Tonk Buddonkidonk"!!! Something of course that you can't just unhitch!!) So I just put my head down and ran towards first, my brother, Travis, was the first baseman and I was going to take him out!!!! hahahahaha!! He was begging for the ball, of course he wanted me out too, but I was NOT going to let that be!!! As I was sure the ball was coming for me, and more likely about to connect with my "Honkey-Tonk Buddonkidonk", the largest target one could throw the ball at, I was reaching first base!!! I thought "I am safe!! I MADE IT!! I AM NOT OUT!!!" And just as I thought that, I heard the most disgusting pop I have ever heard, and my leg went one way, and I went the other, and I dropped to the ground faster than a parachuter with a faulty parachute!!!!! Oh dear, what just happened......all I knew is that my knee was on fire and it did not feel like my leg was even still attached to my body!! I was afraid to look down, for sure my leg was twisted and mangled and sticking out in some weird 180 degree angle in a direction that it should not be!!!!!!!!!! so I just grabbed my knee and screamed "Owwweeeeeeeeoooooooowweeeeeeeeoooooooowwwweeeeeeeooweeeeeeeeeee my knee hurts!!!!"" That is all I could say for about the first (what felt like an hour) minute. Which is surprising that my "sailor language" did not reach the surface, hahahahahaha!!!!!! Then I realized that I was on the ground and that Travis was there helping me hold my knee so it didn't move. I thought to myself, I guess it must still be attached or Travis would not be so calm and be just holding it, right?! So then I was brave enough to look down, and sure enough my leg was still attached, it looked okay, it was hurting pretty bad, I was crying, and I did not want to move it. It was swelling already, someone went and got ice and ace bandages to wrap the knee. They wrapped the knee with the ice and got me up and in Kim's Durango. Dad drove me to the hospital and wheeled me into the Emergency Room in a wheelchair, that is sooooooo not glamorous, and made me feel even more like an idiot than I felt out at Aunt Peggy's house!!! Anyways, I was really nauseated from the pain, and pale. They took x-rays but could not see anything really bad. But the ER doctor was feeling my knee and thinks that there is something amiss and told me that I need to go see an orthopedic surgeon just in case. So that is scheduled for Wednesday 6-23-10 at 10AM. It has been just over a week since the accident and the swelling is still pretty bad and I can't straighten my knee all the way or bend it like I should. I will let you know how the appointment goes and what is next for my knee. Darn that "Honkey-Tonk Buddonkidonk"!!!!!!!!!

Dang sister!! I love that story...not the part where you got hurt. I actually felt your pain. I did love that I could remember those wonderful games in Grandma Goodwin's back yard. I will pray for your doc to find nothing major on Wednesday. Let me know how it goes.
ReplyDeleteOh my holy cow gosh!!!! Your Honkey-Tonk Buddonkidonk!!!!! That is tooooo funny! Thank you for painting the picture so perfectly, I almost felt like I was there! And, I am very very sorry for your injury. When I broke both bones in my arm a few years ago I too was nauseated from the pain. I wished that I knew how to pass out, because I wanted out of there!! Your tough though...they had to come get me in an ambulance because there was NO WAY I was moving! Anyways, I hope all goes well! All you need is a bum knee with all you are doing right now! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh sister, Can you imagine the ratings the show would've gotten..You know..had it been filmed! HAHAHA! I am soooo glad you still got to go to Kansas with us, it would have been a sad trip with out you! Paul Blart! WHOOT WHOOT!
ReplyDelete